Hoping to be of help to all those living gluten free in the United Arab Emirates – نأمل أن نكون عوناً لكل من يعيش حياته خالية من الجلوتين في دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة
– Olive oil, lard or duck fat,
-500 g lamb cut into cubes with fat removed
– 1 cup pearl onion/ one large onion cut into wedges
-2 tsp minced garlic
-1 1/2 cups mushrooms
– 1 1/2 cups leeks
-1 cup sliced carrots
-1 cup green or yellow capsicum
-1 cup zucchini
-1/4 cup tomato paste
-1/3 cup red or white cooking wine (apple juice can be used instead of wine)
-2 cups beef or chicken stock
-2 tsp dried rosemary
-1 bay leaf
For the mashed potatoes (for a Paleo diet, you can use cauliflower mash instead):
– 750g potatoes
1 tsp margarine or butter
– 1 tsp minced garlic
– 1 onion chopped
– 1/2 chicken stock
-1/3 cup sour cream
– 1/4 tsp black pepper
1. In a large nonstick saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat, add to the lamb cubes. Cook for 5 minutes or until well-browned on all size. Remove lamb from the saucepan.
2. In the same saucepan, heat more oil over medium heat; add garlic, mushrooms, leeks, carrots, green peppers, onion and zucchini. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened and browned stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste and wine/juice.
3. Return lamb to saucepan along with tomatoes, beef stock, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until meat and vegetable are tender.
4. Meanwhile put potatoes in a saucepan with water to cover; bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. In a non-stick pan melt the butter or margarine over medium heat; add garlic and onion and cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Drain cooked potatoes and mash with chicken stock and sour cream. Stir in onion mixture on large serving platter and pour stew over the top.
-by Beatrix Szarka